Season 3 Episode 8: U hangry hun? Debunking sugar cravings and hangry attacks
Sugar – it’s a pretty polarising food in the health world. Some people see no harm incorporating it regularly into their diet, some people think that we’d all be better off removing it completely. Some studies are even suggesting it’s level with hard drugs when it comes to how addicting it is.
With so many fad diets, influencers promoting various quick fixes and cleanses, and conflicting information online and in books, it can be hard to know what and who to trust when it comes to curbing these sweet cravings.
So who do we believe? Is it really as addicting as people are claiming? Is it more a lack of willpower that drove you to eat two Snickers bars or is there a real, scientific reason that we can’t help but reach for cookies and chocolate when that afternoon slump or post-dinner craving kicks in?
Sometimes it can just be easier to give up, give in and ‘start on Monday’. Trust me, I’ve been there and I know how much of a struggle it can be to try to avoid the cravings and temptations.
So that’s why for this week’s episode of The PCOS Nutritionist Podcast, I’m talking all about sugar cravings, the science behind sugar and what we can do to effectively maintain a lifestyle where we don’t feel the need to always have the cake or the soft drink.
Joining me this week is the lovely Stephanie, who went from sugar detox cleanses and a “I’ll start on Monday” mentality, to repairing not only insulin spikes but also her relationship with sugary snacks, in turn, improving her PCOS symptoms massively!
Sounds amazing right? Well, the good news is that it’s totally possible and achievable! I know Stephanie’s story will resonate with so many of you.
So, if you feel like you can’t ignore that insatiable desire for sweet treats or snacks and you don’t know where to go from here, this week’s episode is one for you.
This episode is for you if:
– Have insatiable sugar cravings
– Feel tired and hungry pretty much all the time
– Have tried sugar cleanses or cutting sugar completely but haven’t been able to maintain it
– Feel like you have no willpower when it comes to avoiding snacks and sweet treats
– Hangry attacks feel like a regular occurrence to you
– You want to feel more in control of your food, instead of it controlling you
Some things we cover in this episode:
– Insulin’s relationship with sugar
– How Stephanie overcame her sugar addiction
– Lack of sleep and its effects on insulin and sugar cravings
– Stephanie’s story with PCOS
– Methods that Stephanie tried for curbing cravings – what works and what doesn’t
– Sugar ‘cleanses’ and ‘detoxing’
– The difference between PCOS and ovarian cysts
– Negative self talk when it comes to food