Season 4 Episode 6: Why can’t I lose weight and get pregnant?
You’re doing everything right, so why is nothing helping your PCOS symptoms?
I know how you feel, because I’ve been you. You’re being as healthy as you can but it feels like the more you try, the more your body resists.
You’ve heard doctors, influencers, friends, colleagues or whoever say that ‘losing weight is all about calories in calories out’. But you’re eating 1200 calories a day (helloooo hangry attacks) and you’re running yourself into the ground with the amount of exercise you’re doing, so why does your weight keep on going up?!
Not seeing any change in your weight and having people – even doctors – say ‘you mustn’t be sticking to it properly then’ when you’re trying your hardest to “do everything right” is a sure-fire way to trashing your self-esteem and the quality of your mental health. On top of that you’re trying (and struggling) to conceive – so this is the LAST thing you want to hear.
You’re trying to be your healthiest self but the weight won’t budge and you keep getting negative pregnancy tests. You’re being pushed medications like Clomid and some specialists are suggesting you might have to resort to IVF.
Destynne is a prime example of the above.
She was a college athlete, and even after she finished that, she was competing in triathlons – even this crazy amount of exercise and trying restrictive diets didn’t make a big difference to her weight. She wasn’t having regular cycles either. It took her a few years to get formally diagnosed with PCOS, even though she had suspected that it was the issue after researching her symptoms long before.
She tried everything to help her lose weight as well as conceive. But nothing worked and when she did see results – they were short-term and unmaintainable.
So how did she go from this – to having two children naturally, having sustainable weight loss, controlling the binging and hangry attacks and ultimately getting her PCOS under control? Well that’s exactly what we’re talking about this week on The PCOS Nutritionist Podcast.
I knew so many of you would resonate with her story so I brought her onto the podcast to discuss her journey and how she made such a substantial change to her PCOS symptoms. I hope you enjoy listening to this podcast as much as I enjoyed recording it!
This episode is for you if:
– Have insatiable hangry attacks.
– You feel like you can’t stop binging.
– You’re over-exercising but can’t shed weight.
– You’re trying to get pregnant with PCOS.
– Yo-yo dieting is all too familiar to you.
– You aren’t ovulating.
– You want to know more about how Clomid affects your fertility – and other options to discuss with your doctor.
Some things we cover in this episode:
– The calorie equation – and why it doesn’t work for everyone.
– Insulin resistance.
– Reactive hypoglycaemia.
– Destynne’s PCOS journey – weight issues, getting diagnosed, struggling to get pregnant and where she is now.
– Being a triathlete with PCOS.
– How Destynne went from struggling to get pregnant to having her second child within two months of getting her cycle back.
– The ratio of LH and FSH we need for conception – and what happens when you take medications like Clomid.
– Finding other women who are also struggling with PCOS – the importance of community.