Season 4 Episode 7: Why am I always tired? 6 things that could be causing this
When you ask someone how they are, do you notice the overwhelming amount of people who respond with how tired they are? I’ve been guilty of this and I’m sure if you have too, at one point or another.
Recently, the “I’ll sleep when I’m dead” mentality has really picked up and being exhausted has become more of a badge of honour than something people are concerned about.
“So, if everyone’s tired, then isn’t that just normal?” Well, no it’s not. It’s common but it’s far from normal.
From managing our careers, looking after family and being social to trying to eat well and workout, getting through all of our life admin and still squeezing in some ‘me time’, we usually have our plates pretty full.
But after a decent (ideally, uninterrupted) sleep, we should feel refreshed – not like we’ve been punched in the face. Unfortunately, so many of us feel the latter on a regular basis. Which makes getting through our busy schedules a million times harder than it could be.
As women we take on a lot. Which is why I’m not surprised at the insane amount of messages I receive about how to stop feeling “constantly tired”.
Luckily, there are things you can do to wake up after a night’s sleep feeling actually functional (wow, who would’ve known!), keep your energy levels up throughout the day (without a thousand coffees) and be able to actually shut off your mind when your head hits the pillow at night.
For me, this topic is personal. A good chunk of my 20’s was taken up by being exhausted and fatigued. ALL. THE. TIME. Between my corporate job, still keeping my training up and just life in general, I never felt fully rested and ready to tackle the day. I’d be exhausted at work and wired when I was ready to sleep. UGH!
So, in light of that (and because I know so many of you struggle with this too), I’ve dedicated this entire episode to energy and fatigue. I talk in depth about the 6 main issues that could be causing your fatigue and what YOU can do about them.
Because we know that feeling tired just makes everything 10x more annoying and time-consuming.
This episode is for you if:
– It doesn’t matter how much you sleep, you still feel tired.
– You genuinely can’t get anything done without one (or three) coffees.
– You lack energy in the morning but you can’t shut down when it’s time to head to bed.
– Your mind is wired but physically you feel exhausted.
– The beginning of the day and mid afternoon are the times when you feel the most exhausted.
Some things we cover in this episode:
– The importance of micronutrients
– Medications and how they affect your energy
– Stress hormones and their relationship with fatigue
– How your thyroid function could negatively impact your energy.
– Sleep itself – how to identify if you’re not getting enough quality sleep and what to do about it.