Season 5 Episode 7: I’m already living a healthy lifestyle, why do I still have symptoms?!
Ok, so you’re already eating well and you’re regularly exercising. You’re eating what the nutritional guidelines outline and exercising regularly – maybe everyday. So why are you still getting awful PCOS symptoms? You try different types of exercise and change your diet around but still nothing.
I hear you. It’s so hard to feel like a never-ending battle when you already live a healthy lifestyle and you’re told that you need to live a healthy lifestyle by doctors and specialists. It’s not like you’re eating McDonalds everyday – so what the heck is going on?
This is exactly what happened to Leigh. She was already leading a healthy lifestyle, doing everything the government health guidelines provided – eating by the food pyramid and getting a decent amount of exercise a week.
She kept getting all the awful PCOS symptoms like weight gain and acne, and not even the Pill made a difference. Her stress hormones were out of control. She was struggling to have any energy throughout the day, her fatigue was debilitating and then at 2am even her partner breathing could wake her up from being asleep.
Then when she thought slowing down would help her destress, she still felt so highly strung and her PCOS symptoms kept getting worse.
Once she discovered what her root cause was, things started to turn around. The fatigue disappeared within a week, the acne started to clear up, her gut health improved and her body felt hers again.
Finding your root cause is SO important. Healthy is relative to you and YOUR body. What your body needs for fuel isn’t the same as your sister, mother, colleague or friend.
Once you understand what is going on and WHY your body is presenting all these symptoms, then you know what type of lifestyle changes will work for you – and spoiler alert, it’s not the same for everyone.
In this episode I spoke to Leigh all about her PCOS journey. We talked about diet, exercise, fatigue, weight and what to do when you’re already living a “healthy lifestyle”. If you’re already doing everything ‘right’, following the food pyramid guidelines, exercising, listening to your doctor and STILL not seeing any change – listen to this podcast. I’m sure it will resonate with so many of you.
And remember – it’s not always a lack of willpower, this isn’t ‘just the way your body is’ and your PCOS symptoms aren’t a life sentence.
This episode is for you if:
– You’re already living a ‘healthy’ lifestyle but you’re not seeing any changes in your PCOS symptoms
– Your doctor doesn’t really have an answer to what to do next with your PCOS
– You’ve been put on the Pill for your PCOS
– You have insulin resistance
– You’ve been through a period of high stress
– You feel permanently exhausted and it’s debilitating
– Feel like you’re hungry so quickly after a meal
Some things we cover in this episode:
– Why the Rotterdam criteria can be flawed
– Leigh’s journey with debilitating fatigue
– Why you don’t have to have irregular periods to have PCOS
– Leigh’s journey on the Pill and why it’s not the only treatment
– How Leigh found the courage to slow down, step back and look at the bigger picture of her PCOS.
– Do you need to remove dairy for PCOS?
Links to our programs: