Season 6 Episode 5: Your Guide to Birth Control (Part 2): Non-Hormonal Birth Control
This is Part 2 of the 3 part series I’m doing on birth control methods – and this week is all about non-hormonal birth control methods! I know not all women with PCOS are keen to get pregnant right now (or at all!) so I wanted to talk more about birth control.
Now when you think about non-hormonal birth control methods you were taught about in school, the (male) condom was one of the only ones they really spoke about – and probably the only one we knew about as young teens until we were introduced to the OCP (Oral Contraceptive Pill).
But there’s so much more to non-hormonal contraception than just the male condom! And that’s what I’m going to dive into today. Again, I’m going to go through: all the options currently available, how they work, the pros, the cons and the research.
If you’re looking for a more natural approach and don’t want synthetic hormones but have no idea where to start – or think that the only thing you can use are condoms – this episode is one you NEED to listen to!
This episode is for you if:
– You’re currently on hormonal birth control and want to know what non-hormonal options are available to you
– You want to know more about the effectiveness of non-hormonal methods
– You have issues with anxiety and/or depression – I’ll explain more on this in the beginning of the episode!
– You want some cheaper alternatives to hormonal birth control methods
– What else these non-hormonal contraceptive methods are useful for preventing
Some things we cover in this episode:
– Copper Coil (IUD)
– Cervical cap / diaphragm
– Male condom
– Female condom
– Withdrawal Method
– FAMs (Fertility Awareness Based Methods)
– Sympto-Thermal Fertility Awareness
– Lactational Amenorrhea Method
Resources and References:
– Copper IUD:
– Fertility Awareness Based Methods:
– Sympto-Thermal Fertility Awareness:
– Lactational Amenorrhea Method:
Links to our programs: