124: How to maintain a good relationship with food while improving your PCOS symptoms
When you were diagnosed with PCOS, was one of the first things you did go and search up changes to make to help your symptoms? And found that there were about 10,000 different diets out there that were supposedly ‘the’ way to improve all of those frustrating AF symptoms you’ve been dealing with?
If you said no, lucky! But if you said yes, girl – we’ve all been there.
It’s a bit of a dumpster fire on the internet trying to find solutions to PCOS these days.
You don’t want to be consumed by difficult lifestyle changes, you just want to find something sustainable that allows us variety and flexibility – and works – so you can actually get on with the rest of your life!
We don’t want it to compromise the things we love.
For today’s guest Daisy, figuring out how to do this and manage her PCOS successfully while still running her beloved foodie blog was the dilemma. She was finding it difficult to find a sustainable, healthy medium between restrictive diet culture fuelled pattern and the ‘f*** it, who cares’ mentality. It’s a pretty darn tough balancing act — Daisy, like us, is a perfectionist so finding balance was the goal – and to get on top of her acne, weight gain and missing periods.
In today’s episode we speak all about her PCOS journey — where it all started, her core ‘why’ behind wanting to improve her symptoms, how she manages a food blog (which means she’s given burgers, fries, cakes, drinks, brunches, elaborate dinners) while still managing her insulin, how she got on top of that perfectionist mindset to lead a more 80/20 approach to her PCOS, listening to your body, managing your PCOS while travelling (she’s on her honeymoon!) and her key advice for anyone struggling with their PCOS.
If you feel like you’re struggling with this balancing act between getting on top of your PCOS, enjoying yourself still and quieting that perfectionist voice in your head, you’re going to luuurve this episode.
This episode is for you if:
- You’re struggling with symptoms like acne, weight gain, irregular/missing periods and gut issues
- You don’t want to give up your favourite foods and you’re wanting a way to balance your PCOS and the things you enjoy
- Travelling and managing your PCOS seems like an impossible task and you need advice
- You are a foodie, so the thought of nutrition changes stresses you out
- You have perfectionist tendencies and/or you’re a Type A kind of person
- You want to improve your relationship with food
Some things we cover in this episode:
- PCOS nutrition while travelling
- Making habit changes for your PCOS that are actually sustainable
- Getting on top of severe acne, constant weight gain and missing periods
- Running a food blog and eating out when you have insulin resistant PCOS
- How long it takes to see changes
- What your ‘why’ is and why having a ‘why’ is so important
- IBS and PCOS
Resources and References:
- Ovie Instagram
- The PCOS Nutritionist Tiktok
- The PCOS Nutritionist Instagram
- Daisy’s Food Blogger Instagram
- My Book: Getting Pregnant with PCOS