77: So what do you do if you have SIBO and PCOS?
You’ll remember last week on the podcast I spoke about all things SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) related. You may have been thinking,
“I wonder if I have SIBO as well as PCOS?”.
Like PCOS, SIBO is one of those conditions that’s hard to get most doctors to take seriously.
I had so many of you reach out to tell me that you hadn’t heard of it before, you have symptoms of SIBO and you’ve thought you just have to live with those symptoms! You also had lots of questions around what it’s actually like to have SIBO, the risk factors that contribute to getting it and what it can impact.
It’s a very real condition – and you don’t have to put up with it.
I think you’ll find this episode extremely helpful and inspiring, because it really encapsulates what I always say about advocating for your health – because you know when something’s not quite right in your body. Whether that’s PCOS or gut issues like SIBO.
Luckily, I haven’t had to struggle with SIBO myself, but a few of my patients have been dealing with it. Which is why I’ve brought on the lovely Alex from The PCOS Protocol to speak more about her journey with PCOS and SIBO, how her weight loss surgery could have impacted her gut microbiome and contributed to SIBO, her struggles with weight, insulin issues as well as her cycle irregularity, getting ovulating again and pregnancy with PCOS and gut issues.
While it’s all well and good to have me talk about SIBO from a more clinical perspective, what’s it actually like to have it? What other risk factors are there for getting SIBO? What is the process actually like of seeing doctors, gastroenterologists, naturopaths to get a treatment plan in place? How do you know whether that’s the right plan for you?
That’s why I think it’s so important to bring on someone who’s actually dealing with both PCOS and SIBO, like Alex. You’ll know from listening to these podcasts already that hearing someone else’s story can really prompt you to make the next move in improving your own health. So I had to share Alex’s amazing journey with you all.
Got a SIBO diagnosis but don’t know what next steps to take? Wondering what could impact your risk of getting SIBO?
This episode is for you if:
- You’ve been diagnosed with IBS
- You have had a gastric bypass / sleeve / band
- Everything you eat makes your stomach hurt
- You have irregular periods
- Your nutrient levels are low
- You’re always tired
- Weight has been an issue for you for a while
- You deal with constipation or diarrhoea
- Your stools consistency and frequency changes regularly
- You never feel like you’ve fully evacuated your bowel
- Standard IBS treatments like low FODMAP haven’t made a huge impact on your gut symptoms
Some things we cover in this episode:
- Alex’s PCOS story
- SIBO and gastric surgery
- Alex’s SIBO journey
- Advocating for your health with your doctors
- SIBO symptoms
- Stress and SIBO
- Ovulation, periods and pregnancy with PCOS
Resources and References:
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth syndrome
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth: A Comprehensive Review
- Leaky gut and autoimmune diseases
- My Book: Getting Pregnant with PCOS
Links to our programs:
76: What’s causing your IBS — is it SIBO?Browse all podcasts