86: Are the PCOS symptoms I’m experiencing “ just the way I am”?
Regardless of when you’ve been diagnosed with PCOS, you’ve likely been dealing with the symptoms for a while. You feel like you’ve tried everything and your hope of getting on top of your symptoms is dwindling because you’ve exhausted all of your options. No one else seems to be dealing with these symptoms (or not to the extent that you are) but nothing you do is working for you. You’ve googled countlessly, commented on and read through PCOS forums and facebook pages and spoken to countless health care professionals to no avail. It’s exhausting!
You stop to think about your PCOS symptoms and wonder :“is this just the way I am?”
and “I’m not getting anywhere regardless of what I do, so is it just the way things will be and I’ll just have to learn to live with it?”
If you’ve ever asked yourself this question, I really encourage you to listen to today’s episode of the podcast with one of my patients, Erin. While she was only diagnosed at 16 with PCOS, she has been dealing with the symptoms like irregular periods and weight gain (that’s hard to lose) since age 10 and only in the last year has she realised: a) that these symptoms are related to her PCOS, b) it’s not ‘just the way she is’ and most importantly c) there is something you can do about your symptoms!
I know you may feel like giving up hope – it’s damn tough to deal with these symptoms, let alone feeling isolated in it all, not getting much help from healthcare professionals and feeling like you’re just stuck feeling like sh*t (excuse my French, but true!).
You don’t have to feel like this. Your PCOS symptoms don’t have to control your life.
Almost always, when we understand your root cause, we can help reduce and resolve these symptoms. I hope this episode gives you hope that this isn’t just the way you are and empowers you to take the reins of your PCOS so that you can feel well again!
This episode is for you if:
- You are dealing with constant month long bleeding
- Struggling to lose weight is a problem for you (regardless of your activity levels)
- You feel like you’ll never get on top of your PCOS symptoms
- The symptoms you’re experiencing have been happening for so long, that you worry that this is “just the way you are”
- Your periods are irregular and you want to regulate them
- You were told at 16 (or a similar age) that you’ll struggle to get pregnant
- You’ve tried so many diets and programs that you’re not sure there’s any hope left
Some things we cover in this episode:
- Insulin resistant PCOS
- How to regulate your periods
- Supporting weight loss and how to do it in a sustainable way
- Having extremely heavy periods and how quickly that can been corrected
- Migraines and how to figure out if they’re hormonal
- Doing so many diets and being hesitant to start something new
- The ‘wagon’ and being ‘on’ or ‘off’
- When to test for your root cause and having that in black and white
Resources and References:
Links to our programs:
35: How long does it take to actually see change in PCOS symptoms?Browse all podcasts