Training with your cycle: Can my PCOS enhance my training?
Ever been to the gym or out for a run and just felt totally bleugh, but you don’t know why, especially when you hit a personal best last week and felt amazing? That could be because of the different phases of our cycle that affect our energy levels due to changes in our hormones.
Technically, we have two phases of our cycle, however when it comes to training, we can break this down into five phases to train appropriately for each one.
If you have PCOS, you might be wondering, ‘How can I figure out what’s right for me with my cycle?’ We hear you. Once you have a regular cycle that you can track, you can start tuning into how you feel throughout that period. And rest assured, those of us with longer periods actually experience our mid-follicular phase (a.k.a our ‘SEND IT’ phase) for even longer, allowing us to give it our all. Pretty cool, huh?
In this episode, we cover:
- The different phases of your cycle and how to work with them
- How to adapt this for PCOS and understand how long you will be in certain stages
- Training-specific program ideas, such as weight training, running, and exercises for enjoyment
This episode is for you if:
- You want to know what’s right for you in your training
- You want to learn more about your body and cycles
If you’re struggling to have regular cycles, we can help with that at Ovie. Take the Ovie questionnaire here and set your goals. You’ll receive your personalised programme to help you take control of your PCOS and regulate your periods.