2: How a doctor treats her own PCOS: Interview with Dr Danah
What does a doctor do when she has PCOS, but yet none of the treatments she’s been taught work for her? This was exactly the dilemma Dr Danah Bharmal was facing. Her periods were very irregular, her weight kept going up and up and now her face was exploding with acne.
She was already eating well, and working out with a personal trainer but nothing seemed to work. She’d also tried a ketogenic diet when it was all anyone with PCOS was talking about online, but again nothing.
Danah had also been measuring her HbA1c and other insulin markers to see if her insulin was contributing to her symptoms, but her tests all came back within the normal range.
But this all changed when Danah worked out what her ‘root cause’ was.
Highlights, takeaways and quick wins:
- Your doctor likely won’t know how to advise you on lifestyle treatments for PCOS, as they aren’t taught this
- Your ‘normal’ HbA1c and other insulin markers doesn’t necessarily mean your insulin is working properly.
- Why finding this ‘root cause’ is so important for matching you with the right lifestyle treatments
- Eating ‘healthy’ is different for all of us
- Sugar cravings are often a symptom of your insulin not functioning properly
- Fatigue is also a really common symptom of your insulin not functioning properly
- Not all exercise is made equal- working out with a PT may be a waste of money
- Keto is not necessary or even helpful for most women with PCOS
Thanks again so much for listening and lovely words after our first podcast last week. I really appreciate you and your kind messages.
You’re all absolute champions and I know you’re working your peach off to try and figure out this PCOS puzzle. Remember, keep going and keep learning: it doesn’t have to feel like this forever.
*Please note: Unfortunately, we no longer have the PDF’s and resources as mentioned in this podcast episode. Sorry about that!
For further resources and help, you can learn about your PCOS drivers and the best lifestyle changes that can support you in The PCOS protocol. Click here to see more and enrol.
12: Treat your acne from the inside outBrowse all podcasts