37: What you CAN do if your fertility treatment has been put on hold due to COVID-19
Due to the wide ranging effects of COVID-19, fertility treatments in many countries have been put on hold. I can’t imagine how stressful and upsetting this is to all of you who were about to start or were in the process of doing your fertility treatment.
While I can’t magically make the fertility clinics reopen, what I can do is show you an alternative. And no, it won’t affect your treatment in any way.
The basic but essential component of getting pregnant is that you have intercourse at the time that you’re actually fertile. You may be thinking “well, I know when I’m fertile, so if I was going to get pregnant I would’ve already!”
Contrary to popular belief, there are only about 4-6 days in a cycle that you’re actually fertile, and the secret is finding out which days these are.
It sounds simple, but 87% of couples don’t know how to do this. When you learn how, it’s quite straightforward.
In fact, many couples on the IVF waitlist actually didn’t need it – WHAT? Yes, you heard that right. They just needed to know how to identify their fertile window and understand the 3 essential components to getting pregnant. 50% of them conceived naturally after getting taught how to identify their fertility window and understanding the three most important fertility ‘ingredients’.
This is waaaay harder if you have PCOS, because many of us have irregular cycles. And no, apps and ovulation sticks can’t accurately predict it either in PCOS because our luteinising hormone is already much too high.
So – because I know so many of you are in the unfortunate position where your fertility treatment has been paused or deferred until a later date – in today’s podcast I take you through the 3 essential components of getting pregnant (my fertile ingredients), and what control you have over them.
I feel for all of you who can’t go through with your IVF at the moment – because for a lot of you, it’s been a long wait and painful journey to even get to this point. So I really hope this episode can help you and be useful.
This episode is for you if:
- You’re trying to conceive (TTC) or plan to in the future
- You’ve got PCOS of any type
- Your fertility treatment has been put on hold or deferred due to COVID-19
- Your doctor or specialist has told you that you NEED fertility treatment to get pregnant
Some things we cover in this episode:
- The three most important things to know for fertility
- How long you are fertile for in your a cycle
- How to determine when that fertile time is
- Why you can’t use ovulation kits or apps to identify your fertile window
- The importance of the luteal phase
- Why your doctor and fertility specialists wouldn’t have highlighted this to you
References and Resources:
- Fertility-awareness Knowledge, Attitudes, and Practices of Women Seeking Fertility Assistance
- Natural Conception Rates in Sub-fertile Couples Following Fertility Awareness Training
If you want some help understanding your PCOS root cause, what could be affecting your fertility and how you can put your other symptoms into remission, then come join us in The PCOS Protocol.
We’ll guide you through all of the changes you need to make in order to feel in control of your PCOS and get back to what’s really important to you!
We also have our short course specifically focused on helping you conceive – Eggducated. So if you want to just work on that, head over to learn more!
16: The single biggest factor for getting pregnant – and you’re in control of itBrowse all podcasts