48: How to tackle your PCOS symptoms when it feels like there’s no hope of getting rid of them
So you find out you have PCOS, you’re given little to no direction on what to do next and it feels like you’ll never feel better and this is just how it’s going to be from here on out. Let me tell you now that’s SO wrong! But we don’t know what we don’t know right? How can we even approach dealing with our PCOS when there’s so much conflicting information around and no one seems to really be able to give you guidance on what will actually help?
Today’s episode I’m joined by the wonderful Lizzie who’s based in my favourite place (that isn’t New Zealand), the UK! Feeling overwhelmed by your PCOS, what else could be going on and who you can talk to is so normal and Lizzie is a prime example of that – dealing with her PCOS felt like a breakdown-inducing mountain.
And fair enough right? When you’re exhausted, have all of these unexplained, annoying symptoms, you’re trying to live a ‘normal’ life and no one seems to be able to give you any solid answers, it feels like the odds are stacked against you.
Lizzie’s progress has been phenomenal and it’s proof that even when the odds are stacked against you, you CAN get through this and find what will actually work for you and your body. We talk all about her journey, her issues with autoimmune conditions (and why that can be pretty common in PCOS), whether you can have more than one root cause and Lizzie’s tips for making lifestyle changes genuinely sustainable.
I know when you’re looking for ways to help your PCOS symptoms that all the information that’s out there, doctors telling you you’re not trying hard enough and having nothing seem to work for you is absolutely crushing. I know it because I’ve been you and I can tell you from the other side that you don’t have to just ‘deal with it’. Lizzie is another shining example of how there is hope to getting on top of these symptoms, how you can actually make steps to achieve that and that you are far from alone in this journey.
This episode is for you if:
- You’ve ever been told that you’ll struggle to conceive or you likely won’t be able to have children naturally
- You struggle to move stubborn weight gain, particularly around your midsection
- You’ve got other health issues in addition to PCOS and you don’t know which one is YOUR ‘root cause’
- You feel like you’ve been going around in circles with doctors
- You’ve been told to ‘just lose weight’
- You feel like you’re getting to the stage of having a breakdown because it’s all too overwhelming
- You struggle with tiredness and fatigue
Some things we cover in this episode:
- Why there’s no quick fix and how to approach lifestyle changes
- The low GI diet – if it’s helpful
- Why you shouldn’t listen to what works for other people
- Whether you can have more than one ‘root cause’
- High Prolactin and what that means
- Why it’s important to stagger lifestyle and habit changes
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis (low thyroid function)
- Coeliac Disease
- Why you won’t see changes overnight
There IS hope – you can be free of these symptoms! But you need to understand the root of why they’re happening. So if you want to understand more about that PCOS root cause and learn how you can put your other symptoms into remission, then come join us in The PCOS Protocol.
We’ll guide you through all of the changes you need to make in order to feel in control of your PCOS and get back to what’s really important to you!
27: How to go from hitting ‘rock bottom’ to feeling in control of your PCOSBrowse all podcasts